Blue Shield of California Medicare Supplement plans offer those who live in the state of California a full line up of Medicare Supplement plans (MediGap) to choose from. There are 11 Federally standardized Medicare Supplement plans (A, B, C, D, F, High Deductible F, G, K, L M and N). All insurance companies offering Medicare Supplement plans must offer Plan A, although do not have to offer any others. The Blue Shield of California Medicare Supplement plans available for 2020 are Plans A, F Extra, G, G Extra and N. Each plan varies in cost and each health plan offers a different set of benefits. Choosing a Medicare Supplement Plan is easy to do. These plan types help pay some of the healthcare costs (gaps) that Original Medical doesn't cover, like copayments, coinsurance and deductibles.
MOST POPULAR 2020 BLUE SHIELD MEDICARE SUPPLEMENT PLANS: G, G Extra & N
- Plan G = $198 deductible, then 100% coverage.
- Plan G Extra = $198 deductible, then 100% coverage PLUS Vision benefits, Hearing Aid benefits, Physician consultation benefits and Over-the-Counte (OTC) item benefits.
- Plan N = $198 deductible, then $20 copay for outpatient visits
- All three provide 100% coverage for Inpatient Hospital services.
As a reminder Medicare Supplement Plans C, D, F, High Deductible F and K closed to new enrollment effective October 1, 2019. Existing members were not affected and they remained enrolled in these plans. Members in their closed plans may transfer to another plan, but they will not be able to return to these closed plans.
Medicare Part B Cost Go Up for 2020
Original Medicare consists of two Parts; Part A (hospital) and Part B (outpatient). For most of us Medicare Part A does not have any premium, because we have been paying for it through our taxes over our working careers. Part B on the other hand, has a premium we must pay for. And the premiums are determined by your income.
Social Security looks back at your most recent tax return and to determine your monthly premium for the current year. For example if 2017 is the most recent tax return, the premium would reflect your 2016 income. The Part B premium is adjusted annually if your income falls or raises and placed you in a new category.
Click Here for more information about 2020 Part B Costs.
NEW for 2020 Medicare Supplement Plan G Extra
New for Janauary 1st 2020 effective dates and beyond is the new Blue Shield of California Plan G Extra. Plan G Extra offers all the benefits of regular Plan G and includes extra benefits such as vision, hearing aid, physician consultation, over-the-counter items benefits; as well as SilverSneakers®, and NurseHelp 24/7SM.
Plan G Extra Features:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) items benefits that provide a one time per quarter allowance for eligible OTC products including cold and allergy medicines, first aid supplies, pain relievers, and more
- Physician consultation benefits, available by phone or video via computer or mobile app
- Hearing aid benefits including an annual hearing test and savings on Vista brand mid-level and premium-level hearing aids
- Vision benefits2 including coverage for the cost of eye exams, frames, eyeglass or contact lenses not traditionally covered by Original Medicare
- Click Here for 2020 Rates
Over 70 years of serving Californians … As a not-for-profit health plan, Blue Shield of California is guided by its mission and values to provide Californians with access to quality health care coverage at an affordable price. As fellow Californians, Blue Shield understands your unique needs and offer several types of health plans designed to meet those needs. Established in 1939 … Blue Shield is a time tested financially sound company that you can count on. In 2010 Blue Shield received “A” financial strength ratings from Standard & Poor’s and AM Best, and covers more than 2 million members with individual and employer group plans throughout California.
Original Medicare is essentially a national health care program for people age 65 or older, or for individuals under age 65 with certain disabilities and / or with ESRD (end-stage renal disease – kidney failure). Original Medicare is quite good coverage, although there are many gaps (deductibles, coinsurance, copays, etc.) which are not covered by Medicare that you need to be aware of.
Blue Shield of California Plans At A Glance
- Plan A is our basic Medicare Supplement Plan. It includes Medicare Part A and B copayments, coinsurance and more.
- Plan F Extra (NEW) offer the same benefit of regular Plan F but with new additional benefits such as the Hearing Air Benefit, Personal Emergency Response System (PERS), and Vision Benefit.
- Plan G (NEW) offers most of the same benefits of Plan F but the Part B deductible is your responsibility but at a lower cost than Plan F.
- Plan G Extra (NEW 01/01/2020) Blue Shield's newest Medicare Supplement plan has all the benefits or their regular Plan G and includes these extra benefits.
- Vision benefits including coverage for the cost of eye exams, frames and eyeglass or contact lenses that are not traditionally covered by Original Medicare
- Hearing aid benefits including a hearing aid exam and savings on Vista brand hearing aids.
- Physician consultation benefits available by phone or video via computer or mobile app.
- Over-the-Counter (OTC) item benefits including coverage for eligible OTC health and wellness products such as cold and allergy medicines, first-aid supplies, pain relievers and more.
- Plan N has the same benefits as Plan D except that with Plan N you would be responsible for paying up to a $20 copayment for office visits and up to a $50 copayment for visits to the emergency room.
* Underwritten by Blue Shield of California Life & Health Insurance Company (Blue Shield Life).
Medicare Part D Rx plans … You will also need to enroll in a separate Medicare part D Rx plan, which will help you pay for your prescription costs. A good place to start you search is right here. Simply email a list of your current medications along with the dosage and frequency. I’ll enter the information into the Medicare system, to come up with the top 3 plans for your prescription list. The results will show the best three plans for coverage and cost for your medications. I will then email the results to you.
If you are ever Hospitalized, you need to be aware of the term; Observation Status. This is being admitted into the hospital as outpatient, even if you are there for several days. This may have expensive consequences. Click here for more info.
30 Day Free Look period … If you are still not sure if you are going to keep the Blue Shield Medicare Supplement policy, simply cancel within 30 days and receive all of your money back … No questions asked.
Extra’s … NurseLine 24/7 Access our 24 hour nurse-line service either by phone or in a secure online environment for medical questions and concerns.
- Pre-Surgical Guided Imagery Program. Helps members prepare and recover from surgery.
- Health Management Programs: Learn strategies for living with health conditions such as diabetes, congestive heart failure, and arthritis.
- California Advanced Health care directive: Be prepared and find out more about this important legal document.
- Routine eye care discounts: Receive a 20% discount on frames and lenses.
- Also call regarding our Blue Shield Dental PPO Plan.
$25 Monthly Discount – With Blue Shield, you can save $25 each month on your Medicare Supplement plan rates if you are new to Medicare Part B. Blue Shield calls this program "The Welcome to Medicare Rate Savings". Blue Shield offers a $25 savings each month for the first 12 months on all of our Medicare Supplement plan rates. To qualify, you must be age 65 or older, and Blue Shield must receive the application within six months of the date you first enrolled for benefits under Medicare Part B. Savings will be effective for the first 12 months. And you can still take advantage of their two-party rates and Easy$Pay payment for additional savings. The Welcome to Medicare Rate Savings DO NOT apply to High Deductible Plan F, Plan K, and Plan N.
Easy$Pay - Save $3 per month by paying your monthly dues through Auto-matic checking or savings account debits. CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD EASY$PAY FORM TO ENROLL IN AUTO-MATIC DEBIT
Household Savings - You may be able to save 7% on your comined plan dues if you and your spouse or demestic partner are age 65 and covered under one agreement. Two-party rates do not apply to High Deductible Plan F and Plan K. Two-party rates do not apply to tobacco users.
Hearing Aid Discounts … As a Blue Shield member, you are eligible for a 30% discount on hearing aids purchased from our contracted provider, Newport Audiology.
- 0% charge for office visit (including hearing-aid evaluation, cleaning and adjustment).
- 30% discount on hearing aids, which come with; Unlimited adaptation and counseling visits, two year warranty, covering loss and damage, and a two year supply of batteries per hearing aid purchased, and in-office services for the life of the hearing aid.
Vision Care discounts … Blue Shield Medicare Supplement members save 20% on a wide range of products and services, including eyeglass frames, lenses and tints.
California Birthday Rule - In Califronia you have what is called the Birthday rule with Medicare Supplement plans. You are able to switch companies each year on your birthday regardless of your health status. CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ON BIRTHDAY RULE.
PLAN F EXTRA - ADDITIONAL BENEFITS
Personal Emergency Response System (PERS)
Blue Shield now offers a medical alert monitoring system that provides access to help 24/7, at the push of a button. This benefit is available to eligible t members at no additional cost. For details, call today for more information at (800) 963-8008 [TTY:711].
Hearing aid benefits
Blue Shield provides access to a hearing aid benefit, serviced by EPIC Hearing Healthcare (EPIC®). This benefit includes an annual routine hearing test and coverage for Vista brand mid-level and premium-level hearing aids. In addition to the covered Vista hearing aids, members have access to other name brand hearing aids at preferred pricing.
Download and print the EPIC provider network directory. For details, call today for more information at (800) 963-8008 [TTY: 711].
Blue Shield now offers non-Medicare vision benefits including coverage for exam, frames, and eyeglass lenses or contact lenses provided by Medical Eye Services, Inc. (MESVision). These benefits offer a broad network of providers in retail optical centers. You can lower your costs by choosing network providers for covered services.
You can find a vision care provider online. Or for a list of providers in your area, contact Member Services at (800) 248-2341.
Dental Plans for Blue Shield Medicare Supplement Members
If you are a Blue Shield Medicare Supplement Plan Member, you're eligible for dental or combined dental plus vision coverage. Blue Shield offers two comprehensive dental PPO plans and a dental and vision plan package called "Specialty Duo" that includes comprehensive dental and vision coverage ti give you the additional protection that both your mouth and eyes deserve.
Reasons to Enroll
Dental Plan Advantages:
- An extensive network of more than 37,000 general and specialty care dentist locations in California, and over 297,500 nationwide.
- Three annual teeth cleanings, plus annial X-rays or adn oral cancer screening coveraged at 100% when using network providers
- No waiting period for dental checkups, cleanings, fillings, X-rays or basic services
- Wide range of major restorative dental services and procedures, including crowns, endodontics, periodontics, oral surgery and prosthetics at a low network rates
Speciatly Duo dental + Vision Packajage Advantages:
- Includes all dental benefits of the Dental PPO 1500 Plan
- Access to more than 6,700 ophthalmologists, optometrists, opticians and retail stores in California, and over 25,000 nationwide.2
- $0 copayment for eye exams
- $25 copayment for lenses and low vision-aids
- $100 frame allowance that can be used toward any pair of frames
- Benefit for plano non-prescription sunglasses for members who have had LASIK or PRK surgery
Medicare Supplement Dental Plan Rates
||Dental PPO 1000
||Dental PPO 1500
Dental + Vision
|Individual Monthly Rates
Become a Member Today!
Sign up for a Blue Shield dental plan or Specialty Duo dental + vision package on the Medicare Supplement application.
Current Medicare Supplement plan members can sign up through the dental enrollment application.
If you have questions call me at (307) 690-0427... I am here to help.
You can find a dentist and vision care provider online.
WHY Blue Shield of California?
- Stable premiums. In most cases, Blue Shield members will pay less over a 3 to 5 year period compared to other companies.
- Access to any physician or hospital who is Medicare-Approved in the US. (No referrals necessary).
- $0 out of pocket costs when you see a doctor or hospital with Plan F.
- Policy cannot be canceled from underneath you regardless of claims history.
- No claim forms.
- Some companies will have two rates; a “new member rate” and also a “current member rate.” They will advertise the lower “new customer ” rate, while their existing members are paying the higher “current customer rate.” Anthem has doesn’t play these games, they have only “1” rate which I believe is much better for their customers.
- Like Anthem Blue Cross, Blue Shield of California is a heavy weight in 3 primary markets in California (Individual/Family, Small Business, and Senior). Although they are seperate companies in direct competition with each other there are differences in product choice, rates, customer service, and online member services. Blue Shield unlike Anthem Blue Cross is dedicated to only those who live and work in California... a not for profit entity.
Enroll Today – please call anytime and I will help you through the enrollment process. I will make sure the process is quick and accurate. Download your Enrollment Form now and when complete simply Scan and Email to "Sales@Individualhealth.com". If you would prefer someone reach out to you CLICK HERE to complete Information Request Form.
- Download Enrollment Form Here
- Verify Blue Shield of California Medicare Supplement Rates
- Already a Member? Enroll in Easy$Pay Auto Debit - Download Easy$Pay Enrollment
Travel Medical Insurance – Medicare does not provide coverage outside the U.S. CLICK HERE for information about International Travel Medical Plans from GeoBlue